Friday, January 14, 2011

Being there for your friends

My very dear friends are experiencing very trying times.  They have to make some difficult decisions by Monday.  I actually hurt for them.  Please join with me to lift prayers for the right decisions and for comfort in conveying those decisions to the family. 

My own mother passed away over 11 years ago after a prolonged illness that left her bed ridden and attached to oxygen 24/7.  She so wanted to stay at home through out her illness and to die at home with her family surrounding her.  My father was her primary caregiver for over 5 years and he is certainly a saint in my book!  But I ponder the question, should we have placed her in a nursing home?  Would she have received better care there?  During her last year, she probably didn't even know where she was most of the time.  I can't even imagine how difficult it must have been for my father, although he never complained once!  Hospice did come into the home but only in her final weeks. 

My husband's father is 92 and is living in an assisted living community. He is doing wonderfully there and loves the interaction with his friends and all the activities he can participate in.  Right decision there, no doubts!

I know that I need to be sure my husband knows my wishes now and that I know his while we still have the ability to make a proper decision. 

This quilt is number 3 on my to-do list.  It is a Bonnie Hunter pattern from her first book. (Leaders and Enders, I believe)

No comments:

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate