Saturday, January 22, 2011

What I learned about Ebay

Just before Christmas I purchased a used Bernina 1130 sewing machine. I've loved mine for years, but I have just about worn it out, mine is pictured at right.  Anyway, I got a good deal, $650.00 plus shipping and it arrived just five days before Christmas.  (note: had difficulty with the seller replying to my messages about shipping and when to expect the machine, but she was very punctual replying to me until she received payment. Keep that thought for now, the saga continued.) Anyway, got the machine but it arrived broken.  I was so disappointed in the way the seller had packed it.  The machine was loose in a cardboard box and the box had been placed inside another larger box.  When I picked up the package at my door, it sounded like it was filled with millions of tiny pebbles.  Anyway, I promptly contacted her and she arranged for UPS to pickup the next day.  I repacked with old blankets, bits of leftover cotton batting, tee shirts, plastic and foam so well that that baby wasn't going back to her in any worse condition that it arrived.  I wanted to show her what well packed boxes looked like.  I think she had never packed anything in her entire life, maybe? Awhile later, I browsed for the tracking number to find that she received the returned package on 12/24.  Got a terse email from her on that Saturday that the machine still sewed, so what was the problem?  The problem was that 5 pieces were broken off the machine, the presser foot was jammed down so that you had to lift the foot with both hands in order to put fabric under the presser foot.  Can you believe that she thought I should have been happy?  Next, I ask for a full refund and she told me that she would send it the next week.  I never heard from her again.  After three weeks, I contacted EBay, filled out the online forms to open a case (EBay buyer protection resolution center) and waited 7 days.  After that I spoke to EBay Customer Service to let them know I still had not gotten a response from the seller after calling and emailing several times that week.  Waited another 7 days and call EBay again, they have fully refunded my account with the purchase price and shipping costs.  Needless to say, I was getting very nervous about this whole situationl.  I think I will be shopping for a new Bernina instead of trying to find an older one.  I do like the older machines better than the new machines that are made now.  I don't like a lot of change, can you tell? LOL .  Anyway, I'm looking at the Aurora 440 QE.  Maybe, I'll go to the quilt shop next week and try one out. Wish me luck..

No comments:

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate