Friday, December 9, 2011

OB Part 4 with Red Strings

I want to thank all those that have commented on my blog.  I'm new to blogging regularly so I've not had too many comments to read.  My blog is primarily a journal for my personal use but it is fun to correspond with others especially when sharing the same mystery.

I have never saved strings and I've been quilting since the early 70's. I wonder what my OB would look like if I had some of those old pieces to include in this step. I think it would be a little wild to say the least.  But what am I saying, some of my stash is probably 20 years old. ;->

Anyway, I made these two blocks early this am from strings I cut from my stash.  When I cut these, I sorted through my red shelf to find the most diverse group, then proceeded to cut 1 1/2 inch or 1 3/4 in strip from each one. I only used one of the "stacks of red" on that shelf and I have 5 more stacks that I did not even use. I really have a lot of fabric and Bonnie is helping me use it. Once I finished cutting and put the stack back on the shelf, it did not look like I had used any.  Does fabric multiply whenever it is touched?

I cut the phonebook pages I needed to 5 3/4 inches so I would have more wiggle room to trim if necessary and proceeded to make two blocks. When I choose strips, I close my eyes and reach into this basket and use whichever strip I pull out.  The only reason not to use it if it is too much like the one I'm about to sew next to it.  I may cut a few more reds with light backgrounds just to give the blocks more punch.  I have a travel iron setup next to my sewing area, so I press as I work. Makes the process much faster for me.  I'll show a picture of my TV tray stand that I padded and covered to make a portable pressing station on my next post.

I have the recommended rulers and I find I really like using them.  BTW, I did finsih the HST last night using Bonnie's recommended ruler for that.  Took about 3 hours to make 350 HST, pressing and dog-ears removed. Did not have to trim these of the QST either.  Bonnie has made a believer out of me. 


No comments:

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate