Tuesday, December 13, 2011

TV serving tray stand from Walmart-Ironing station

I've had a few folks ask me about my portable ironing workstation.  I really like using a TV tray for this as it folds up and I tuck it into the closet when not in use.

Here is the tutorial on how I made this.  First I purchased a wooden TV tray stand from Walmart (about $15).  I cut two layers of cotton batting (don't use poly or poly blends), 1 layer of silver ironing board material (optional) to fit just the top of the TV tray.  Just lay the batting and silver material on the top of the tray. You don't have to attach these as the cover you're about to make, will keep these in place.

To make the cover, find some good quality cotton broadcloth and cut this fabric 4 inches bigger all around using the TV tray as a pattern.  I put the tray upside down on the back of the fabric and traced the top with a pencil and then used a ruler to measure and mark another 4 inches out and cut the fabric.  Next, pressed under 1/2 inch all around, easing and gathering at the corners.  Next, again, press under 1 1/2 inches all around, easing and gathering at the corners to create a casing for a piece of grosgrain or strong ribbon to thread through (don't worry that the corners of this casing does not look very good because it won't be seen from the top).  Stitch along the turned under edges of the cover to create a casing and thread the ribbon through the opening you left in the center of the cover.  Put the finished ironing cover on the tray and pull the ribbon ends to fit the cover tightly and tie with a bow.  I like to change the cover every year, as the cover can get grimy and yellow with use. I also hang my small cutting mat and rotary cutter on the under side of the tray with two cup hooks.  Just be careful when attaching the cup hooks under the tray that the screw ends do not go all the way through to the top of the tray.  Ask my how I know this!

I need to make another cover soon, so I'll take picture of the process.  Maybe during my Christmas break, I'll get to that project.


1 comment:

SubeeSews said...

I have two of those tables. I had bought one when I first saw Bonnie's pressing station. Then she asked if I could bring it to a retreat she was flying to and I was driving to. So I bought another one. This is such a clever idea. I have all the ingredients to make myself one!
I get lots of sewing done as housework usually falls last place in line. HA!
XOXOOX Subee

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate