Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Where did January go?

This is my latest block for my sampler that I am teaching.  I found the tutorial on the Internet from Lee at http://FreshlyPieced.blogspot.com

history: Beginning in September 2010, I started meeting with a small local group to teach beginning quilting.  Some of the members attend my church.  We have made 9 - 12 inch blocks and over 20 - 6 inch blocks.  The purpose of the sampler is to teach many different techniques such as using templates, using the rotary cutter, sewing accurate seam allowances, sewing the Y-seam, different ways to make QST and HST, sewing curved seams and of course, selecting fabrics and color options.  We have had a great time. No one has dropped out and we meet on Saturday mornings at Maggie's wonderful home where she serves us a lovely brunch.  What more could I ask for.  Lately, I've been pushing this group to try to catch up as we are on the very last block before we start choosing sashing options and final assembly of the top.  Our next meeting will be the introduction of  this block and we will begin laying out the quilt blocks to find a pleasing setting for the top.  I know that some of the quilters will want to remake some blocks because they have progressed far and they are not as happy with their earlier works. 

Our next project will be a quick piecing project  that should spark their interest and show a quicker result. I'm thinking maybe a scrappy jewel box or controlled color Irish chain quilt.  Maybe baby size.

My DH and I are still working on getting our living room completed.  We have worked for the last several weekends getting the TV mounted and the fireplace surround painted and in place and we are still not finished. Here is a picture of our progress.  We need to install the gas logs, find a fire screen that I like, make floral arrangements for the urns that you see on the hearth.  I also want to buy small sconces for either side of the TV but I can't find anything that I like.  This has really been a much bigger project than anticipated! But it will be so worth it.

No comments:

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate