Monday, February 20, 2012

Sunday, it snowed.

Wonderful light snow fell almost all day but only accumulating in my neighborhood around 2:00. 

Dear hubby and I were on our way to church early Sunday morning (we live on the other side of the mountain from our church, a 45 minute car trip) when we received a call from the neighbors of our church letting us know that the snow had already started falling and had accumulated about an inch.  Since we have so many older folks in our membership, we felt that it was prudent to cancel services for safety reasons. Being a pastor's wife, I never have a Sunday "off" unless I'm very sick.  So, having this much time, what to do?  It was like having a mini vacation.  I relaxed (took a nap), read (a real book), ate (too much), watched a movie with my DH, made a pot of soup, sewed a block on my Farmer's Wife quilt, organized my sewing room. Wow, it was a nice chance to get some "me" time. 

I laid out the borders for my "teaching" sampler quilt on the guest bed yesterday and I think I'm going to like this layout. Since the quilt center is square, each row represents a border around the quilt.  I need to sew on sashing strips which will be a tiny blue gigham. Maybe by the end of this week, my top will be together and I'll have something to show.


I purchased this cube unit and some cube boxes at my local Staples Office supply store (they had a great president's day sale.  It was extremely simple to dowel, glue and screw the unit together (without having to ask DH to come help). Usually directions are not very well written, but these were extremely well done.  Each cube box stores my scraps by color. I tied a scrap of colored fabric to the handles until I can come up with a solution to labeling the cubes.  Before I organized, I had tubs of fabrics sitting on this black bench and it was a mess digging though each tub trying to find the right fabric for my Farmer's Wife Sampler blocks. After each sewing session, I would have to fold and refold all the fabrics in each tub to keep the fabric from wrinkling too much.  I think I'm going to really enjoy this. (Note: just wish they had enough cubes in the colors I wanted (ecru and black), but this works too.  Not too 'colorful'!
The top row of cubes are, left to right:  Gold/yellow   |   White  |  Dark Neutrals
The middle row of cubes are:                Pink/Purple    |      Red   |   Blues
The bottom row of cubes are:                    Brown        |    Black  |  Green

No comments:

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate