Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Such encouragement I've received, thanks!

I've received so many nice comments on my Talkin Turkey quilt top. Thanks you for posting.  I do love it and will be excited to finish it soon, I hope.  I need to shop for backing fabric this week as I don't seem to have just the right fabric in my stash.  I don't want to piece the backing and have too many seam as there are so many seams in the top itself.  I don't like to hit thick seams when quilting on my longarm. I've had issues in the past with broken needles and throwing the timing off when I do that. So, I'm more cautious with scrappy string quilts.

I'm also working on my Grandmother Flower Garden quilt that I started last year (English paper piecing method).  I've only worked on the flowers when traveling or away from home and I've completed over 60 'flowers' already.  I figure I have only 40 remaining to do. I will most likely hand quilt this one since it is all hand pieced.  I do like to hand quilt, just don't have much time to do that yet, so maybe when I retire in a couple more years.

I have a daughter that did not like to do any thing crafty such as sewing, knitting, etc.  The whole time she lived at home while growing up and before she left for college, she would complain about me spending time doing 'old lady stuff when I watched TV'.  Well, let me tell you she has caught the bug big time.  Her friend is a loom knitter and she has gotten my daughter hooked.  I'm more excited for her than I thought possible. Here is her first hat and she is so cute in it too. (takes after her Mom, don't you think?)

She has been married now for five years and she just recently hosted a birthday party for her wonderful husband, Kevin.  There were almost 100 people attending his 40th birthday celebration.  He is like a son to us and we cherish our time when we can visit.  They live in Lynchburg.  She was graduating from Lynchburg college that May and  they met at their church just before she planned returning home.  Well, she did return home from college but they were married the following November.

Happy Quilting
Gail in Verona VA

No comments:

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate