Monday, October 15, 2012

Talkin Turkey from Bonnie Hunters Newest Book "String Fling"

I have really enjoyed making this quilt. Talkin Turkey is from Bonnie Hunter's latest book 'String Fling'. I just love scrap quilts and I'm starting to like making string blocks.  I've made several of Bonnie's mystery quilts that use strings. The first one was Roll Roll Cotton Boll with neutral strings/pieced sawmill blocks and the second one was Orca Bay with blue strings/Ohio star blocks.  Speaking of these two mystery quilts, these two patterns are also in the "String Fling" book.  I recommend getting this book if you don't already have it.  I'm going to make Jamestown Landing from this book also but not until early next year.

Talking Turkey uses a ton of red strings for both the blocks and the pieced border.  Just love how Bonnie uses pieced borders to complete her designs.

Can't wait for the new mystery to be annouced. She said today on her blog that the fabric requirements would be revealed this month and that the mystery will start in November.

I want to start quilting 'TT' sometime this week on my neglected longarm. I will need to dust it off and give it some oil as I haven't used it for awhile.  Hope I don't have any issues with the machine.  I need to quilt several tops but have been too busy making them to finish them.  Can you tell which part of the process I enjoy more! ;->

Hope to put the binding on within the next couple of weeks so I'll be all ready to launch yet another mystery from Bonnie!
Happy Quilting
Gail in Verona VA
Shenandoah Valley Quilter

12 comments:

Laura said...

I followed your link from the Quiltville yahoo group. Love this quilt!

sewnsew said...

Love this quilt!!!!
I don't have that many red scraps.
Working on a scrappy (purple) mountain majesty to teach at a couple of places now.
Taking a trip to Lynchburg, Va this week end to visit my daughter. Then on to Mary Jo's and South Carolina to visit relatives.
This is a must have book for me. I want to make Jamestown landing. Can't wait for the mystery quuilt. Hope I have time to do it, Orca bay is still collecting scraps. Ramona from Maine

sueH said...

luv, luv, luv this quilt......

Judy D in AZ said...

What an outstanding looking quilt. You did a great job.

I have not gotten into the string piecing but I can see that I need to think about trying it out.

Michelle said...

Yours looks gorgeous! I bought the book for that pattern, but since it got here I've started three others (from the book) instead.

jeri said...

Beautiful quilt!

JustPam said...

This is absolutely beautiful and you did an amazing job. I didn't want to buy any more books, but I may have to put this one on my Christmas list! I am now a follower of your blog too.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Gorgeous! I love it!!

I can't wait to see what Bonnie has in store for us for the next mystery.

Linda said...

Such a beautiful quilt. I love the reds you used.

Lkekko said...

What a great quilt. I've been wanting to make a Red and white quilt, and yours makes me want to sew the quilt more.

kwiltnkats said...

Lovely! I've got one red/white quilt, but this spurs me to make another. Sandi

Sharyn Hutchinson said...

I can't wait to make this quilt. Yours is beautiful!

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate