Sunday, December 2, 2012

EZ Street Part 2

I didn't think I would have time this weekend to sew, but it worked out that I had more time than planned.

Here are my flying geese for Part 2 of Easy Street.  I really like the purples.  I used Bonnie's Easy Angle rulers method with these. I made just a couple of the units first to test my cutting and found that I needed to cut a couple of threads bigger and I adjusted my seam allowance a hair narrower and all the units I sewed after that, measured the correct size.  I really like making flying geese with this method. It was fast and accurate for me.  For those that are having difficulty with these rulers, I suggest not giving up using these rulers.  Also, be careful to not stretch while sewing and even more careful when pressing as there are bias edges to contend with.

I finished two more of my Jamestown Landing stars (from Bonnie's book, String Fling) as leaders/enders while making these flying geese units.




Here are the Easy Angle rulers I used. I put sandpaper dots on the back of my rulers to keep them from sliding around while cutting.  I have arthritis in my hands and wrists so I need the dots so that I don't have to put a lot of pressure to hold the rulers.  When lining up the lines on these rulers with your fabric, you will need to look straight down on the lines and not view from an angle as this will throw off your accuracy. I also find that I cut more accurately with no more than four layers of fabric and a sharp blade in my rotary cutter. But that is just me, you may find that you can cut more at a time. I don't starch my fabric either, but that is a personal choice.


Happy Quilting
Gail

4 comments:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

Love your black and whites, expecially the crossword print.
Like you I chose to match the wings on each goose, easy when cutting two with right sides in :)

Well done, onward to step three~

Sandra B said...

I love your geese units and the two blocks are gorgeous. I must get some sandpaper dots for my rulers, since I broke my wrist in June I have no strength to push down on the ruler.

The Thimblemouse of Country Crossroads said...

Lovin' your geese!

Judy Hansen said...

Your geese look very accurate! Good job! Good advice on measuring before doing a lot of them.

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate