Friday, February 8, 2013

My vintage sewing machine collection

I've been following Bonnie Hunter's (Quiltville) blog recently about how she collects vintage people-powered and older electric sewing machines. She must have quite a collection because when she is doing quilt cam, she is sewing on a different machine almost every time.  She even names her machines.  I haven't done that yet but I think I may.

So, I was inspired to get my sewing machine collection out of storage, clean them up a bit and to see if they still sew.  My favorite is the 'Singer Red Eye' treadle machine shown sitting on top of this wonderful oak cabinet, close-up pictures of this machine are shown below.

This sewing machine does not have a scratch on it and I doubt that it was ever used.  The machine fit perfectly in this cabinet in the sewing position (the hinge pins on the machine fit perfectly on this cabinet) but the lid of the sewing cabinet would not close completely when the machine was 'folded down' in the storage position.  I believe that a smaller machine was used in this cabinet at one time.  I can't leave the machine in the open position due to space issues, but I'm thinking of moving this baby to where I can enjoy using it.  The sewing mechanism turns smoothly and I can rotate the wheel and form a stitch.  I am now looking for a cabinet that will truly fit this machine then I would be in full operation!  I've never treadled before, so I will need to practice how to do that too.  The Red Eye 66 was bought on eBay and I was really lucky that the seller knew how to pack this machine for shipping and the price was very reasonable too.





My small 'three quarter' Singer 99 hand crank machine is a lovely find also. She sews wonderfully.  The only problem on this machine is the dome lid.  I believe that someone lost the key to the dome lid, and had to break into this machine because the dome just sits on this machine and no longer latches. I got this one on eBay too.  (I have been burned on several of my sewing machine purchases on eBay, so be very cautious when negotiating with sellers on shipping and the packaging methods they use. I have 2 66's and 1 99 that are broken and can only be used for parts due to poor packaging!)



My Singer 15, below.  Both machine and cabinet were purchased locally from the Verona Antique Mall.  Again, a lucky find. The cabinet was $60.00 and the machine was free.  This baby is an electric sewing machine from around 1950 and is the best sewing machine, wonderful stitch, quiet and fast.  I need to use this machine more than I do.  


This post is getting too long, so my next post, I'll show my Featherweight machines.

Until then, happy quilting.
Gail in Verona

No comments:

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate