Thursday, June 27, 2013

Marianna's Baby Quilt

I've finally found a little block of time to sew.  Have been so busy with home remodeling that I've not had a block of time to devote to quilting and other needlework passions in recent weeks.

How to Make an American Quilt (book and movie: author Whitney Otto)

Do you remember the book and movie?  Loved it and still watch the CD again and again. Bought the quilt book that was release later that year to make the quilts that were featured in the movie.

Here is a picture of the baby quilt/wall hanging that I've nearly finished.  I started the quilt in the early 1990's when the quilt book was released and found that the lack of any clear instructions made me put that block away, hidden deep in the UFO pile. (As there were only line drawings of the blocks in the book and not one instruction on how to actually make it or any sizes given, I got in over my head.)

Well, years later while moving my sewing room from one bedroom to another and sorting through my unfinished project closet, low and behold, came across the book and my one forlorn quilt block (badly pieced, at that!)  I actually threw it away and started over.....

I now know that I've grown somewhat in my quilting abilities since, and now I saw several possibilities to making these blocks. (paper pieced, hand pieced, freezer paper templates, etc?) I chose to machine piece using freezer paper templates except for the camel which I hand pieced as there were so many set-in angles in that block.  I made the blocks over my vacation week in May and just recently finished assembling the quilt top.  Just needs two more small border to finish.  I used only fabric from my stash and tried to keep the look and feel of the 1940-1950 time frame in mind when choosing fabrics and scraps.

Getting ready to start another quilt "Nearly Insane" by Liz Lois in a red and white color scheme.  This book also has line drawings and very little written instruction.  I now feel that line drawings are no big deal anymore, especially after finishing the 'Farmer's Wife Quilt" (again, just line drawings but they were all the same size at 6 inches finished.)

Feels really good to get my UFOs out and some done.
Happy Quilting
g.

No comments:

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate