Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Taking a vacation and attacking my UFO pile

My, time does fly! I haven't posted in a long time but I need to get back to it.  I miss the structure of blogging and documenting my projects.  So this blog will be picture heavy.

First, let me introduce Blue.  He owns the local quilt shop I frequent: Rachel's Quilt Patch in Staunton, VA. He is sweet and just loves to greet customers and his blue eyes are so intense. I load-up on my allergy meds and  I "love on him" when I go to the shop as I can't have a pet of my own, he is my stand-in.
Blue, the shop cat.
What's on my design wall is Crabapple in progress.  A pattern by Bonnie Hunter in her book Adventures with Leaders and Enders.  I have made over 600 3.5 nine patches for this quilt and for Tumalo Trail, which is also by Bonnie Hunter.  I have almost enough to make the Tumalo Trail and will be assembling that quilt later this month as soon as this one is finished top.  

Love my design wall which is a flannel backed tablecloth from Walmart for $5.00 with 8 grommets added to the top and command cup hooks to hang it.  The best thing about this design wall is I can add a second tablecloth directly over this one so I can work on more than one quilt at a time.  My double closet door are behind and when I need to get into the "winter closet", I just roll the design wall up and tie the roll with ribbons that I attached on the back of the tablecloth. 
Crabapple quilt top designed by Bonnie Hunter

I love to make baby quilts and a young couple that we have been life counseling from our church are getting ready to have their first baby.  I saw this panel at the quilt shop which works with their nursery colors of grey and blue. I just added simple nine patch blocks and two borders.
Tweet Baby Quilt

and the afghan too for those cool nights in December...
Crochet baby blanket

I needed to cover a pillow for my couch and fell in love with the knitted pillow at Crate and Barrel but could not justify the price, so made my own.  The second one is in progress....
Knitted pillow cover

With the "slow quilting" craze that is so popular now, I decided to get my Grace quilt frame out of the closet and mount a quilt that I've wanted to finish by hand.  I've always loved to hand quilt but just didn't do it much and my friends tease me about having a longarm with a quilt on it languishing in the basement and me spending my time hand quilting in my studio. Whatever makes me happy, I suppose.....
Tea Pots in my Garden

This is the next quilt that I want to start with my Mirabelle jelly roll by Fig Tree and Co. This one may have to wait until early fall as I have so many things in progress right now and I can't start another until something else gets finished.

Mirabelle Jelly Roll Quilt


And finally, my Tumalo Trail, in progress from Scraps & Shirttails II also by Bonnie K. Hunter. I have so many 1.5 inch strips and patches in my scrap bin that I could make nine patches for a decade and still have fabric left over.  I'm also trying to use up some of the recycled shirts in this quilt and the Crabapples and have just made a slight dent in that storage bin.
Tumalo Trail; quilt in progress



No comments:

2008 BOM

2008 BOM
from 'The Quilt Show' By Sue Garman

2009 BOM Number 2

2009 BOM Number 2
Stars for a New Day also by Sue Garman

2009 BOM

2009 BOM
Washington Medallion by Sue Garman

2nd UFO for 2008

2nd UFO for 2008
Chocolate